Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's cloudy in Chennai...

This should serve as a good title as Chennai seldom gets cloudy. I wonder if it has something to do with my blog template. Maybe it's just me. I always have this uncanny knack of relating everything that is happening in this world to my own "GREAT" life. It's too bad that I can't enjoy it as I am having a really bad cold and am blowing my nose away to glory. The "eternal rain lover" that I am, it hurts when I realize that I won't be able to enjoy rain as much as I used to once upon a time in Trivandrum.
It's surprising however, that, almost 90 per cent of the people I know in Chennai, hate rains. I wonder why! Inspite of the fact that rains in Chennai means respite from the scorching heat, less power cuts and a good night's sleep for many. But then, I should not forget that this is India. Rains also mean waterlogged roads, clogged sewage channels, overflowing drainages. floating filth and so on and so forth.
Gone are those days when kids used to splash rain water on each other on their way to school and back. I consider myself lucky that I was born and brought up in a "tier II" city (in economic terms) enjoying this lovely phenomenon called rains. Then again, that tier II city rarely had sewage or drainage issues as it was blessed with a hilly terrain. So, if at all there was water logging, it used to be only in low lying areas or ponds or fields. Frankly, I am not sure of the situation in this once beautiful city now.
There used to be not one child who would come to the school totally dry on the day of school reopening (June 1st) and I guess the date still remains June 1st. It is the most amazing  feeling and I feel sad that the kids of today cannot enjoy it as much as we did.
Now the question remains. What does it take to make rains an enjoyable experience? The answer is simple - better sanitation, better roads, proper dainage facilities, responsible officials, less corruption and also all the way upto Lokpal Bill.
Well here's another reason to support Anna Hazare's campaign - we want  to enjoy rains without any glitches.
Jai Hind!

No comments:

Post a Comment